What’s wrong with population growth?

Home Forums Property Market Research Q&A What’s wrong with population growth?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

“The great population growth myth”. I know, right? So to summarise…

Population growth often indicates higher supply NOT higher demand of property. Many property professionals, let alone investors, get this round the wrong way.

Those locations in which population growth is impossible are the ones in which supply is the most constrained. These have much better capital growth potential.

The greatest population growth that indicates the possibility of oversupply is the kind that occurs with heavy developer activity.

New housing estates are a classic example. They are also usually the furthest distance from the CBD where land supply is plentiful and infrastructure and amenities threadbare.

But even CBD locations can be tarnished with high developer activity – in the unit market. Just remember that population growth at a micro level, like suburbs, is not an indicator of increasing demand, but increasing supply.

In property investing, and life, use reasoning by ‘first principles’, not analogy and herd mentality.

This is one of the most important lesson you will learn in business, property investing, and life. Keep it in your pocket.

I couldn’t have said it better myself, because that’s exactly how I did say it.

No attribution to the original author?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.